Sunday, March 22, 2009

jo y bos

Mendoza. et puis et puis....

Helping a French woman with a script she has written. She studies cinema and is interested in documenting the radical changes taking place in France in the late 60s and the simultaneuous dictatorship reining at the time in Brazil. I told her I´m interested in these kind of things and we have been talking alot about it. Maybe she will need a researcher or extra writer. She says so, anyway. et puis et puis... shes assembled a neat narrative which follows a French journalist with Brazilian familly back into the jungle to rescue an old friend. Contexts are colourful and the climax et denouement occurs within Carnivale... I imagine.

I am in Mendoza, reading Henry M., and will be for a few days. Having fun and perhaps too much fun. Bike tour of wine country on Tuesday.

00000

List of bad stuff that has happebnned this week




- Yerba Mate. I bought a Mate, the gourd carved device used for drinking the Yerba, and a bombijja (the metal strainer and straw) but whilst I was being taught how to cure the receptacle, I noticed it was roto, broken, and so now it slowly leaks, cries. (see note on Yerba, at bottom).

- iBook G4. People said bringing a laptop with me was risky. It would get stolen or I would get mugged. Jesus. Well I was doing fine until yesterday or the day before... getting of the bus from Salta I hastily threw my waer bottle in the bag wuith the laptop. The lid wasnt snug, and the water entered expensive electronic exposing holes and now the screen hums and wont turn on. I hope the files, pictures, et al.. are secure and alive. (meanign no more picture uploads, for now, and likely much more difficult to work and write)

- vintage 1950s Raybans; stolen or lost at Salta hostel.

- sleeping bag; riding in trunk of some angry Bolivian cab driver. It fell off my bag and he took off, quick time.

- green sleeves. my cold has still not died.

- power. need yet another set of power adaptors, for Argentina has differnet plugs. Meanign I have no camera for a bit.

Good stuff;

- discovered Pancho V... hotdogs. Which are footlongs that are made with your choice from millions of salsa and sauces, and topped with mini french fries. Price; priceless.

- Arrived in Mendoza. Met locals and some guys from Miami who work here and hung out at their apartment in a posh neighbourhood.

- have been in touh with Spin Magazine and will likely start filing stories for them as soon as I am settled and find a cameraman in B.aires. makign my user profile tmro



AGENDA AND OTHER LISTS

- buy tailored wool suit in market for cheap , and buy new sun glasses

- grapple with my desire for a shaved beard vs. the coolness of having a huge beard and the naggign thought that this is THE best time to grow face hair

- if shave is a yes, find a barber that will do a wet shave. (and maybe get a trim too)

- spend no money on Monday (new day; no money mondays)

- read more write lots more


YERBA; you probably dont know about Mate and the huge ritual Argentines have for it. It is tea time with a bunch of friends who sit around with thermos full of hot water and they pass around the Mate pot in a circle. Its an herbal tea. It tastes rather bitter but some people add sugar, and other spices to make it sweeter. Everyone has their own die hard rituals and it takes 24 hours to get the MAte ready for use for the first time - to cure it - which is what I am doing right now. Needless to say Yerba is a good way to make friends if you are a lonely traveler in Argentina, or Uruguay.

3 comments:

  1. How are you paying for everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ask because I'm doing the same thing once my contract is finished except across Asia. I'm intrigued at how each little adventure takes shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am paying with Visa and bank cards and selling my body to aged Portenia women.

    I am going into debt everyday. I might try to get a job in BA>>....!I hope so.

    ReplyDelete