Friday, February 27, 2009

Cuzco

Altitude sickness, sure I've got it, but it beats living in Ottawa.

I think.

Cuzco is way high up in the Andes and is a colonial style city. All the streets are cobble stone. The buildings adobe and ceramic-tiled. In the main centre there's some astoundingly rich and imposing cathedrals. Spectacular mountains of the Andes are visible in ever direction.

I do hate blogging, if only because I know for a fact I wouldn't read my own blog, especially if I wasn't me. Maybe if I could figure out how to find time to upload pics you guys would be happier to waste your time with me.

In Sunday I leave for Machu Pichu. Its a five day hike on foot to the sacred and lost city of the Inkas. Going to pick up a bag of coca leaves on the way to keep the spirit and teh body in good shape for the even steeper climes (about 3,500 km above sea at some points...)

Coca tea (Mate de coca): drink it constantly to stay fresh and feeling well. When ever my breath begins to shorten  and I feel as if I was hungover - the sickness - I hop into a little cafe and grab a cup for about s/1. 50 (40 cents). 

Vendors on the street sell you grocery bag sized packages for less. And you chew it. You can even buy San Pedro, in cactus form, or in pure, mescalin powder, at some of the markets for about 2 bucks US. I haven't tried it, and not sure if I want to cope with the psychadelics..but you can do a spirit journey here and its a guided trip.

Beer here costs  s/. 2.50 (90 cents). There's a chinese restaurant every ten feet in parts. There ex-president was Japonese. Going to an afro-reggae dance club later.



1 comment: